Aurelio's scientific work in one sentence
My lab studies how cell and tissue growth are regulated.
For more information click here.
University Studies: 1998, Harvard University
PhD: 2004, Imperial College
Current Position: Prof. & Head of Division
What is - in your opinion - your best publication?
Schleich S, Strassburger K, Janiesch PC, Koledachkina T, Miller KK, Haneke K, Cheng Y-C, Kuechler K, Stoecklin G, Duncan KE and Teleman AA. DENR•MCT-1 Promotes Translation Reinitiation Downstream of uORFs to Control Tissue Growth. (2014) Nature 512: 208-212
What are your most important prizes and memeberships?
2010 EMBO Young Investigator Award
2013 Walther-Flemming-Medal (German Society of Cell Biology)
2016 Johann-Goerg-Zimmermann Prize
5 questions about research - past, present, future
1. What are your primary tasks and responsibilities in your actual position?
My primary task should be, and is, to think about science and to direct the research program of my lab. Unfortunately what I spend most of my time doing is dealing with bureaucratic issues, paperwork, and reviews.
2. What is it that gives you pleasure and/or satisfaction the most?
When we discover something new in the lab.
3. Which research question(s) affects you at the moment? What is its social significance?
We want to understand how cells and tissues regulate their growth. This is relevant for cancer biology because a tumor is a tissue that is growing when it should not be.
4. Which publication influenced you the most?
I can’t nail it down to one. Many publications influence me every week….
5. What do you like most about AMPro? What are your particular plans within the collaboration?
I like most that AMPro brings together scientists from the various Helmholtz centers !